I am taking Darren Rowse's 31 Day's to Build A Better Blog Course. to try to provide you with higher quality content. Today's assignment in the course is to write a list post. According to Darren, list posts are hugely popular with readers, and I hope that this one will be hugely popular with you.
Do you know that some recent studies suggest that as many as 80% of us don’t enjoy our work and nearly 75% of us don’t know what our purpose is. Do these statistics surprise you? Do you find them troubling?
Not long ago I was one of these people. I was unhappy with my career, and did not know what my purpose was. So, I decided to start down the path to discover my purpose. Somewhere along the path I read One Big Thing by Phil Cooke.
In this book, Phil talks about finding our purpose and discovering what we were created to do. This is what he refers to this as our One Big Thing. He argues that we were all put on earth for One Big Thing – something only we can do. Do you know what your One Big Thing is? Why you exist? Why were you put on this earth? Do you want to find out?
These questions are the ones that I have struggled with. You may have struggled with these questions in the past, or you may be struggling with them right now. If you are, it is my hope that we can work together to find the answers to these questions and discover our purpose.
And, once we have found our purpose, what do we do about it? What changes do we need to make to our lives to be able to follow our purpose? Unfortunately, most us can’t just start over because we have family obligations, bills to pay, etc. So, what do we do?
The purpose of this blog is to help us work through these issues together, and to help each other find and live our purpose. To help each other discover our path to success.
First, we need to define success. How do you define success? The dictionary defines success as, “The accomplishment of an aim or purpose.” Based on this definition, we will be successful if we carry out our purpose in life – our “One Big Thing“. So, how do we carry out our purpose in life? This is where the list part comes in…
I believe that accomplishing our purpose in life requires five things:
- Relationship – The first thing that we need to be a success in life is to have a relationship with the God of our universe. The Bible tells us that God came to earth and lived among us so that we may have life abundantly. Some versions of the Bible refer to this as a full life, and others refer to it as a satisfying life. The bottom line, is that if we don’t get this part right, we will never have a truly satisfying life
- Purpose – Second, to have a truly satisfying life, we must know and understand our “One Big Thing” We need to know what we were created for, and we need to know and understand our true purpose.
- Plan – Third, once we have discovered our purpose, we need to develop a plan for our life. Our life plan will become the road-map that will get us from where we are to where we want to be. (tweet this)
- Productivity – Fourth, we need a productivity system to help us keep track all the details involved in both living our life and managing our life plan. We need a productivity system that will help us get things done.
- Platform – Finally, we need a platform to help us get the word out. A platform that will help us to communicate our purpose and our plan to others. A platform that will help us make a real impact on the world.
This blog exists so that we can work together to discover our purpose, develop our plan, manage our lives, and develop a platform so that we can use our passion to make a difference in the world.
I don’t have all the answers, but together we can figure it out. Will you join me on this journey?